Monday, October 29, 2007

Running Off Some Energy

We realized that we are at the halfway point of our trip. Hallelujah!

I seem to be the master of the bath. I again supervised Carson’s morning bath (or swim) and again the bathroom stayed dry. Dry, that is, until I left the bathroom and didn’t notice it getting to high. Saved by dad. Interesting how Carson rinses the shampoo from his hair. He is unused to baths so when he has lathered up, he jumps up, rests his upper body on the counter and rinses his hair in the sink. He is very clever.

We went to a park today. It had a lake with small bridges and area where people exercise. I thought it would have a playground but just t he exercise equipment. Carson definitely likes the superhero play. I learned today that most of what boys watch on TV here is superhero play, including some measure of violence. It is what he knows. We worked today on when it is ok to do that behavior and when not. Basically, never with mom and only when dad says they can play. He had his first series of time outs of any consequence. I am finally becoming immune to the stares of others. Mostly because I am so tired of being ignored and laughed at by Carson when I discipline him. I am only requiring 2 minute time outs now. I had the guide explain that in the US, he is likely to get 8 minute timeouts due to being 8 years old when he is in school or if he goes to day care.
We found an area next to the park with rides. Keith did a strange bike in a wheel sort of contraption with Carson and Carson did a small roller coaster a couple of times by himself. Then I was up. I got on a ride that looked like a scrambler. Was I ever mistaken. With Carson seated in front and leaning back against me, we started to spin. Our cart turned on its side. Then I heard it. The noise. The noise that said the whole darn thing was going up on a giant arm and tilting us while it spun. I was so scared that I screamed and cried through the whole thing. I think Carson enjoyed my terror. I was shaking for a good 10 minutes after I got off. Our guide said that Carson told me thank you for going with him but I was so out of it, I didn’t hear a word. Carson really ran off some energy for the first time today. So much energy that he wanted a nap when we got back. No way was I letting him sleep during the day. I’m sure he didn’t get naps before and I was afraid of what might happen tonight if he slept during the day.

We had lunch at a dumpling restaurant a few doors down from the hotel. Many places do not own forks so we are getting better at chopsticks. We headed back to the hotel to check in with the Kaden family who are here from Wisconsin adopting an almost 10 year old girl. We met on the Dalian Yahoo Adoption group.

We went to the Kaden’s hotel to meet them. Carson and Nina were in school together and seemed very happy to see each other. What a beautiful family. They have 2 beautiful bio daughters, both fluent in Chinese, and 2 adopted Chinese daughters. They just received their older Chinese daughters this morning. Five lovely daughters. Lisa and Dave were such nice people and I learned a little more about Chinese boys from Lisa who has a little more personal experience than I. You never know where you are going to learn things that will help. We also talked about a possible summer get together this next year with Zach and his family who live in MN. Zach was adopted right before Carson. MN sounds like a great place for a summer vacation for next year! I think if we can keep these children in touch with each other, it would be a very special connection over the years.

We stopped at the market across from the hotel again as Carson wanted to buy grapes. Other than a small amount of ice cream, he really does not care for sweets. He didn’t even want any of the sweet and sour pork I had at lunch since it was sort of candied.

Tomorrow we are going to the Imperial Palace. Don’t know how Carson will enjoy that, but knowing that we are at the halfway point gives me a little more energy! I am really starting to miss by girls at home.

10 days down and 9 to go.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I hope Carson settles down some now that he has Nina there.

Maybe they will help each other and things will be peaceful for you all.


Lisa

Hilary said...

he doesn't like candy? hope and hannah will love it...they'll figure out how to use that to their advantage. are you with the new guide yet?

Pam said...

Carole,
You'll have to hit the after Halloween sales of costumes. I got 75% off astronaut, spiderman, batman, starwars and other superhero costumes. My boys had birthdays in Nov. so these were fun gifts. Sounds like Carson might like superheros.

Sounds like the scary ride was still a bonding experience since he thanked you for going with him!!
Praying for you all often.

Pam (Dalian Group)

Cindy said...

Hi Carole!
A summer vacation to MN is a great idea! It really is beautiful here and we would love to see you all. I am sure Zach, Carson and Nina would so enjoy seeing friends that have been through the same experience and can talk about how things have been going.

I am praying that things smooth out with Carson. It does take time, and every child is so different in how they handle such a huge adjustment. It will be wonderful when you can finally get home and get things settled.
Cindy (and Zach!)

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.